Permanent Secretary, Department of Health
Chris Wormald was appointed Permanent Secretary at the Department of Health in May 2016.
His previous posts include:
– Permanent Secretary for the Department for Education
– Director General in the Deputy Prime Minister’s Office, Cabinet Office
– Head of the Economic and Domestic Secretariat, Cabinet Office
– Director General, Public Service Reform, Cabinet Office
– Director General for Local Government and Regeneration at the Department for Communities and Local Government
– Principal Private Secretary to Estelle Morris and Charles Clarke
The Permanent Secretary leads the day-to-day running of the department and heads the department’s senior team.
Along with other members of the departmental board, the Permanent Secretary is responsible for:
advising ministers on strategy and objectives for the health and social care system setting standards within the department making arrangements for governance, assurance and risk management overseeing the department’s performance and assuring the performance of sponsored organisations approving the department’s business plan, resource accounts, departmental report and major spending
Paralympian & Crossbench Peer
Independent Life Peer & Consultant
MP & Former Minister for Culture, Communications and Creative Industries
Academic, Economist, Author, Sirius XM and Chief Europe Correspondent & Former Economics Editor, ITV News