Research Fellow, Procter & Gamble
Prof Paul Matts can offer fascinating and inspiring talks on a wide variety of topics including:
• The psychology of the perception of human facial “Beauty”.
• The silent tragedy of skin disease in the Developing World – and simple, sustainable, low-cost interventions now being used to treat millions.
• The science of the interaction between sunlight and human skin (responsible for skin cancer – now the world’s #1 cancer – and premature skin ageing).
• The truth behind the claims of the Cosmetics Industry.
• Lessons learned as a career-scientist in Industry!
Paul joined Procter & Gamble 1988 and has spent the majority of his career in R&D conducting research and developing methods to feed the technology pipelines of brands such as Olay, Max Factor, Dolce & Gabbana, SKII, and others. He has specific expertise in measurement and modelling of all aspects of skin structure, function and appearance, sun protection and the psychology of perception of skin, among other areas. Paul is a regular Keynote speaker and contributor to a wide variety of external academic and industry conferences and meetings, both within the UK and internationally. He is Visiting Professor to the University College of London School of Pharmacy and to the London College of Fashion, the Chair of the Cosmetics Europe (European Trade Association) Sun Protection Measurement Task Force (developing the methods behind the SPF and UVA symbols on sunscreens) and a Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts and Royal Society of Chemistry. He is involved in and highly passionate about several projects in Africa related to skin disease and its prevention and treatment using low-cost, sustainable materials. Paul is married with three children and, when he has time, a fanatic UK SCUBA diver and BSAC instructor.
Please see some relevant links below:
Professor of IT Ethics, University of Plymouth
Assembly Member and Cabinet Secretary for Education, Welsh Government
Founder, The King of Shaves Company Ltd
Paralympian & Crossbench Peer
Chair, Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) Council
Chief Corporate Officer, ScottishPower